Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Combatting Depression When Working From Home

Traditional jobs keep you busy. You are up and out the door every morning. You have to be. There is no time to think of discouragement.

You know that if you do your job, you will have a cheque every pay. You don't worry about finding work, or whether their WILL be work. That is one of the main benefits of being an employee.

Working from home, certainly in these early stages where you are trying to build enough work to keep you busy and develop a schedule, can be very hard on you.

Of course, this is self-employment from home. Obviously, if you are working for someone else out a home office, this may not be as much of an issue. Still, for some, isolation can be difficult. Depending on your personal circumstances and personality, working from home, even for an employer, can leave you feeling a little disconnected, particularly if you are used to the interaction in an office setting.

How do you keep that fire, that drive? How do you motivate yourself to keep going when you feel like you would just rather go back to bed?

This is something I am struggling with at this very moment, and, as I am documenting my journey, it may be an obstacle future readers of my blog will also encounter.

Some may say, "go for a walk" or "read something light". Trouble is, with this kind of blue funk, it saps every ounce, not so much of strength, but of will. Put brain in neutral! It is quite paralyzing.

I hope, that by adding this to my blog, by writing about the feelings I'm battling, it does two things. 1) gets them aired out 2) keeps me busy writing! thereby, getting more accomplished in my goal of activity that attracts business to my blog!

Now, there is an encouraging thought! Something positive out of the blues!

It is also good to identify what exactly is causing the problem. Is it isolation? Writer's block? I don't think in this instance it is either. I really don't mind working on my own. Being in my own home office is really nice. I can set up the way I want to. Maybe, that's what I need to keep reminding myself. All the reasons for making it work. Ideas are flowing, so its not the writing problem.

Right now, it is the nuts and bolts of making my work at home, blogging venture work. The mechanics of SEO and web marketing! Ah! So tiresome! so much reading that is making my eyes go crossed!

And yet, that is what will make this adventure worth while. Keep trucking, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment